[GRASS5] RE: [bug #4140] (grass) Nviz doesn't start either fr om GUI or CLI

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 7 23:25:30 EST 2006

> I'm not sure how the binary was compiled; I downloaded the generic
> linux binary from the Grass website - perhaps another developer can
> comment on this?

I am pretty sure it was not compiled on a Debian system or derivative..
& for Ubuntu you'll want that.

probably easiest to compile it yourself or get CVS pacakges from the
DebianGIS project (last dec-2005?).

Configure & compile on Debian/Ubuntu systems-- flavour to suit.

CFLAGS="-ggdb -march=pentium4 -Wall" ./configure \
    --with-tcltk-includes=/usr/include/tcl8.3 \
    --with-motif --with-motif-includes=/usr/X11R6/include \
    --with-readline --with-cxx --with-glw --with-odbc --with-sqlite \
    --with-freetype --with-freetype-includes=/usr/include/freetype2 \
    --without-postgres \
    2>&1 | tee config_log.txt

#     --with-ffmpeg --with-ffmpeg-includes=/usr/include/ffmpeg \

make
make install

6.1 Compile Package Reqs, 31 Oct 2005

gcc              # for compile
libc6-dev        # for basics
flex             # for lex
bison            # for yacc
libncurses5-dev  # for curses
zlib1g-dev       # zlib
libreadline5-dev # readline
libjpeg62-dev  or  libjpeg-mmx-dev  # for JPEG support
libtiff4-dev     # for TIFF support
libpng12-dev     # for PNG support
tcl8.3-dev       # for TCL
tk8.3-dev        # for TK
#postgresql      # for Postgresql support
#postgresql-dev  # for Postgresql support
xlibmesa-gl-dev  # for OpenGL
#libstdc++5-3.3-dev # for glu-dev
xlibmesa-glu-dev # for OpenGL
unixodbc-dev     # for ODBC
fftw-dev         # for FFT functions
lesstif2-dev     # for Motif
libfreetype6-dev # for Freetype Fonts
libgdal1-dev     # for GDAL
gdal-bin         # for GDAL (doesn't include libraries or gdal-config)
proj             # for PROJ.4
sqlite3          # for SQLite
libsqlite3-dev   # for SQLite
#libavcodec-dev   # for FFMPEG support
libavcodeccvs-dev# for FFMPEG support (ftp.nerim.net/debian-marillat/)
libavutilcvs-dev # for FFMPEG support

make             # won't get far without this..
g++              # for r.terraflow

Hamish