[GRASS5] gis.m does not use whole area

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Tue Mar 21 14:45:33 EST 2006

There is nothing wrong.

The geometry of the area displayed is determined by the region (g.region
and/or zoom), not the geometry of the canvas. gis.m will attempt to fill as
much of the canvas as possible given the geometry of the region, while
showing ALL of the region defined. I assume that people want to see all of a
defined region rather than have a filled canvas that cuts off part of a
region.

So, a tall, narrow canvas and a short, wide region will appear as a short
map extending across the width of the narrow canvas.

The xdisplays behaved in exactly the same way. The only difference now is
that the displayed map is aligned with the upper left of the canvas rather
than centered. This is for easier and more accurate coordinate conversions
between the screen and geographic coordinates.

Note that graphic output matches the *region*, not the canvas.

On a different note, the lack of zooming (recentering only) was a bug that
was fixed several weeks ago. You need to update.

Hope this is helpful.

Michael
Arizona State University
Tempe, AZ  85287-2402