[GRASS5] Re: auto-locate EPSG

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Mon May 1 01:42:09 EDT 2006

> > I've committed the changes. Everything appears to work insofar as
> > the specified directory gets passed to the projshare.sed script.

Works as above for me on Debian (/usr/share/proj/epsg), with no
--with-proj-* :

checking for location of External PROJ.4 includes...
checking for proj_api.h... yes
checking External PROJ.4 version... 449
checking for location of External PROJ.4 library...
checking for pj_get_def in -lproj... yes
checking for location of External PROJ.4 data files...
checking for /epsg... no
configure: warning: *** Unable to locate PROJ data files.

            ^^^  $PROJSHARE/epsg when $PROJSHARE defaults to ""

and the GUI "/epsg" looks for the file in:

(the GUI could be altered to use a default if $epsgpath="" ?)

If I add
  --with-proj-share=/usr/share/proj
to the ./configure line it finds it:

checking for location of External PROJ.4 includes...
checking for proj_api.h... yes
checking External PROJ.4 version... 449
checking for location of External PROJ.4 library...
checking for pj_get_def in -lproj... yes
checking for location of External PROJ.4 data files... /usr/share/proj
checking for /usr/share/proj/epsg... yes

.. and the EPSG code browse button works correctly.

Setting --with-proj-share will be ok for packagers on a set platform who
build from a script (e.g. DebianGIS team, Lorenzo's OSX,...) but won't
do much for the typical custom build. Maybe the "warning: ***" line will
encourage  folks to set it.

Autodetection is nice..

As this seems like a run-time setable thing: if you put a custom path in
the GUI it should remember it and not just instantly reset to
the default (wrong) path.

Once you do find it and bring up the list, there's a big "Select" button
that doesn't do anything as far as I can tell besides return().
You can't even highlight the code number for cut & paste.

Hamish