[GRASS-DEV] Re: [GRASS5] Proposal: RFC 1: Project Steering Committee Guidelines

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Thu May 4 06:56:12 EDT 2006

> > I am more interested in finding an answer to the general voting
> > rights question-
> >
> > Anyone who has committed something to CVS* in the last year can
> > vote? * plus bug tracker, documentaion, translation maintainers too,
> > somehow.
> >   (who else do I forget? Packaging teams?)
>
> 'Something' is not enough IMO, it sould be 'significant' contribution.

ok

> We can try to define some limits (difficult)

yes, difficult, but less prone to personality dramas if there is some
rule.

> or new voters can be accepted by current voters (better i think) -
> initialy all contributors with CVS write access would vote about
> candidates for voter.

I don't really have a problem with that other than there are lots of
people working on GRASS who many of us are not familar with, other than
a large patch or feature by them shows up out of the blue. (eg i18n)
It would be hard for me to vote for/against them. Hopefully this process
can make that situation less true in the future.

> I think that 'voter' should be for life. I dont think that it would be
> abused. People who realy leave the project will not continue to vote
> most probably. They should have a chance however to defend their
> previous work.

IIR X11 had this problem, former devels trying to direct the show.
(and thus the fork to X.org) I'm not really worried about that though -
I was thinking more about getting a majority. If important votes are by
% of devels, it's a lot easier to figure 50% of active devels.
I guess normal votes would just be % of responding devels, so no problem
there other than you need to define a quorum.

I don't wish to exclude anyone who has previously given a lot, and of
course their personal copyright over their work doesn't expire on our
schedules. Under an "active devel" rule, inactive devels could be
instantly reinstated by comitting a small gift of code to the CVS. Maybe
cleanup a man page..... it might help them get back into the habit.

Hamish