[GRASS-dev] gis.m

Trevor Wiens twiens at interbaun.com
Sat May 6 16:42:44 EDT 2006

Michael and Cedric.

I like the changes to the gis.m. The explore mode is tremendously
useful. I had always found the previous behaviour on zoom and pan
annoying.

The "Zoom to selected map" button is clear once you use it but at first
I didn't know what was meant by map. This is another case where I am
frustrated at the term layers used to refer to vector file virtual
layers. Perhaps we could get people to consider the term virtual
layers, even if it does sound kind of trendy and silly, it is accurate.
I think the hint should avoid the term map as the window says Map
Display #, which kind of gives the impression that putting the layers
into a display is create a single map made up of those layers. So, even
if it may be confusing because of vector virtual layers, I think it
should read "Zoom to selected layer."

I do think however that the zoom to current and redraw all
should be replaced by two buttons. One for zoom to current / system
which could be placed with the other zoom to named region, etc. As with
all other zooming or panning everything is redrawn anyway so this
button is a bit misleading. Then the current button should simply be a
redraw all button. This is useful for script testing if you create a
file look at it and then decide that you want to try something
different so you delete the file and recreate it. If you just hit
redraw, you don't see the changes, instead you need to zoom out or pan
to get the changes to display thus a draw all next the the draw changes
is useful.

Trevor Wiens
twiens at interbaun.com

The significant problems that we face cannot be solved at the same
level of thinking we were at when we created them.
(Albert Einstein)