[GRASS-dev] [bug #4426] (grass) Almost entire GRASS database deleted. Suspect grass startup.

Helena Mitasova hmitaso at unity.ncsu.edu
Mon May 8 14:33:31 EDT 2006

Cedric Shock via RT wrote:
> Please help by suggesting what program could have done this short list of
> symptoms:
>
> All grass database files (vectors, rasters, regions, etc.) and their
> directories completely removed.
>
> Projection and other support files except for MYNAME removed. MYNAME still has
> the correct name for the location, so the whole folder wasn't deleted.
>
> WIND and DEFAULT_WIND either removed and rewritten with proj and zone lines or
> all the defaults of 0 and 1 were written to the remaining files.
>
> -------------------------------------------- Managed by Request Tracker

this happened to me about 10 years ago when working with GRASS4.1.
I was testing a completely rewritten version of r.flow and we have never
figured out what caused it.
We could not track it to r.flow itself so it must have been something
related to installing a new module
while working in an existing GRASS location and running that new module
then erased the files.
But I have recompiled and installed new modules while running GRASS many
times since then and
I haven't seen this happen anymore.

Helena

Helena Mitasova
Department of Marine, Earth and Atmospheric Sciences
North Carolina State University
1125 Jordan Hall
NCSU Box 8208
Raleigh, NC 27695-8208