[bug #3117] [GRASS-dev] povray and grass [-> 6.1.0 freeze & release?]

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Fri May 19 06:11:18 EDT 2006

Michael Barton wrote:

> We probably should go ahead toward 6.2--meaning a feature freeze and living
> with some work arounds.
>
> I've just finished a gis.m TclTk replacement for d.profile and can get it
> into the cvs in the next few days. I just need to make a couple of button
> icons. I didn't think I'd get it done, but I hope you can let me get add it
> to the cvs now that it's done.

There's no reason why new modules can't be added during a freeze. The
main point is not to change existing code in a way which might break
anything which depends upon it (otherwise you just add new bugs as
fast as you fix existing bugs).

> The only other thing I can think of that really needs to be fixed (can be
> dealt with as a bug fix after the freeze) is the region problem. Maybe it's
> already fixed by Cedric, but I haven't had a chance to check it yet.

Region problem? Is that a gis.m problem, or elsewhere?

> Doing replacements for i.points and v.digit will take more work, possibly
> reprogramming in C (pretty sure about v.digit, still might be able to do all
> of an i.points replacement in TclTk, but I'm not yet sure).

i.points should be doable in Tcl/Tk, although you might want to
salvage the mathematical code from i.points and keep that in a C
helper module rather than re-writing it in Tcl/Tk. Apart from anything
else, it may be useful for non-interactive use.

> As much as I'd
> like to have a complete x11 free GUI for 6.2, I don't think we can get there
> yet--unless some rapidfire development can be done by someone else. But
> we've come a long way and have a very nice product.

AFAICT, the main obstacles are v.digit and NVIZ. v.digit needs a
decision on a suitable toolkit (probably either Qt or wxWidgets) and a
volunteer. NVIZ requires someone to update Togl to 1.7 and to
conditionalise the GLX-specific code in do_zoom.c.