[GRASS-dev] new profiling tool and other gis.m updates

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Sun May 21 20:28:56 EDT 2006

> > Using this logic the one of the obvious choices would be
> > asfdg and hjkl; for right and left hands.
>
> Not bad. But IMHO even more ergonomic is sxacq for right-handed people
> and kmlno for left hand-handed:
>
> Zoom-in:	s or k
> Zoom-out:	x or m
> Pan:		a or l
> Query:		c or n
>
> Measure:	q or o
>
> But I wont insinst anymore if you can tell why my proposition is bad.

For folks who don't use the GUI everyday (me), the shortcut keys having
some sort of logical reason to them makes them easier to learn and to
remember after a week or month later when we use the GUI again.

"Blender" is an example of highly optimized software for power users
which is fine for them, but too hard for new explorers. I think GIS
software like grass, especially the GUI, will get a lot of explorer
users.

I wouldn't worry too much about y,z keys being different on Germanic,
etc keyboards. Presumably the user doesn't switch keyboards every day so
for them it stays the same and any re-adjustment is annoying but
non-destructive (more of a concern for a "d" delete feature option vs
zooming).

>From this thread it seems obvious that we all have our own preferences
and a shortcut config window with key capture (any luck Trevor?) is
required. This makes the choice of defaults less critical.

Hamish