[GRASS-dev] v.digit: Qt or wxWidgets

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Mon May 22 05:00:18 EDT 2006

Michael Barton wrote:

> >> Why do we need/want switch from TclTk?
> >
> > 1. Both the Tcl language and the Tk toolkit are too primitive.
> > 2. Linking to external libraries is too complex.
>
> My idea was, if we have a better idea of what is missing in TclTk it would
> help pick a GUI toolkit to replace it. We'll also need people with some
> expertise in that toolkit to port the GUI.

The main thing that's missing is an immediate-mode canvas and the
drawing functions needed to make use of it. I.e. equivalents of
GtkDrawingArea/GDK, XmDrawingArea/Xlib etc.

You also need adequate performance; if executing the language wrapper
around XDrawLine() takes 10 times as long as actually executing
XDrawLine(), redraw is going to be slow.