[GRASS-dev] v.digit: Qt or wxWidgets

Laurent C. lrntct at gmail.com
Mon May 22 12:13:09 EDT 2006

2006/5/22, Radim Blazek <radim.blazek at gmail.com>:

> On 5/22/06, Glynn Clements <glynn at gclements.plus.com> wrote:
> >
> > Radim Blazek wrote:
> >
> > > What do you mean exactly. It is GPL on all platforms.

> the
> this.
> > >
> > > I cannot say if there are differences, but I don't believe.
> > > We are using GPL version on all platforms.
> > > There are some additional packages (QSA, Qt Solutions, Teambuilder)
> > > which are not available under GPL on all platforms but the Qt, Qtopia
> > > and Qtopia SDK will be most probably the same on all platforms
> > > and under all licenses.
> > >
> > > http://www.trolltech.com/products/qt/licenses/licensing/matrix
> > >
> > > I don't care which toolkit you choose. I just don't like to see
> > > that some people for some strange reasons repeat to say that
> > > Qt is not free, which is not true.
> >
> > The licensing information on the TrollTech site suggests that the
> > licence for the Open Source edition isn't actually the GPL, but a
> > requirement that you publish your code under the terms of the GPL.
> >
> > The GPL itself does not require that you publish your code at all. You
> > are free to create derivative works and not publish them at all. /If/
> > you publish them, you must do so under the terms of the GPL.
> >
> > TrollTech's site suggests that you cannot develop "in-house"
> > applications using the Qt Open Source edition (and you can't obtain a
> > commercial licence for software which was originally developed using
> > the Open Source edition). In which case, the licence isn't even
> > GPL-compatible.
>
> I cannot find anything like that. The opensource package is licenced under
> GPL and I don't see any exception. Where is written that you
> must publish your code even if you do not distribute the application
> or that you cannot develop and use "in-house" application using open
> source
> edition of Qt?
>
> Radim

There is something like that here (
http://www.trolltech.com/products/qt/licenses/licensing/opensource)

"If you wish to use the Qt Open Source Edition, you must contribute all your
source code to the open source community in accordance with the
GPL<http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/gpl.html>when your application is
distributed."

"when your application is distributed". There are no licensing problems for
me.
I've just dowloaded the package and the lincense packaged is the GPL.