[GRASS-dev] d.* commands

Moritz Lennert mlennert at club.worldonline.be
Wed May 24 04:11:19 EDT 2006

Hamish wrote:
>> I think there are around 56 d.* commands for interacting with the X11
>> terminals.
>
> no, they talk to the display and raster libraries, which in turn render
> to a display driver, which will then send it on to X11, PNG file, other..
>
> e.g. a module calls R_text() to draw some text or R_polygon_abs() to
> draw a polygon. The display drivers take care of how to actually draw
> that. Look in grass6/display/drivers/
>

>> What needs to be done to these modules so that they can communicate
>> with the new Tk display canvas?
>
> very little. e.g. in gis.m's GIS Manager window, click the "add command
> layer" button and add a d.* command and watch it go.
>
> We only have to worry about interactive modules.

I think what is at discussion here is whether one will still be able to
use the CLI to display things, i.e. run d.* on the CLI and see the
results in the monitor.

Currently, you can use the gis.m to display anything (including by
entering d.* commands as command layers, but if you want to use the CLI
to display something, you have to launch an x-monitor.

The questions are:

- Is this a problem ? I.e. how many times does one want to combine
display commands from the gis manager and from the CLI ?

- If it is, what needs to be done to make a d.* command typed at the CLI
display a map in the gis.m monitor ?

Moritz