[GRASS-dev] GUI platforms

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Wed May 24 12:46:33 EDT 2006

Yann

You can use the new GRASS Extensions Manager to make your code available to
others without having to recompile all of GRASS.

If your code is potentially may be integrated into the normally distributed
set of modules, the only things that those of us working on the GUI suggest
are...
1) Don't *require* interactive input via a terminal. That is, make it
possible to run your code by typing a command on the command line only.
Don't make it wait for subsequent user response to questions. This way, the
command for your code can be run from any scripting environment--including
bash or a GUI platform.

2) If your code needs to display anything, it should work through standard
GRASS display mechanisms, rather than independent calls to an X display
terminal (or any other specific display mechanism outside GRASS). This way,
as GRASS display libraries and functions change, your code will still be
able to display in multiple environments.

If your code is primarily for your use and will not be distributed with
GRASS or interact with GEM, you can do pretty much anything  you want.

Glynn, Cedric, anything else to add?

Michael
Arizona State University

phone: 480-965-6213