[GRASS-dev] [bug #4493] (grass) gis.m fails to start GUI

Cedric Shock cedricgrass at shockfamily.net
Wed May 24 16:44:51 EDT 2006

Michael, et. al.,

We don't have an "official" tcl/tk compatibility requirement. However I put in
SUBMITTING_TCLTK that programs should work with both 8.3 and 8.4, which I
believe are both an absolute must. Due to the core nature of gui.tcl, I've
been testing my changes to gui.tcl against 8.0, 8.3, and 8.4, even though 8.0
compatibility results in slightly less readable code (no end- index
notation).

I believe the tk options database was added in version 4. Poking around online
I found a tcl7.0/tk4.0 manual that mentions the options database almost
identically to the 8.4 manual (the interface is identical, the documentation
has barely changed).

offrelief sounds like something that should be moved to options.tcl, where it
can be specified and the tk version tested for once. We could also make a
class of a toolbar select button to keep the options thin. This is probably
the best idea. I'll whip one up some time soon as an example.

--Cedric