[GRASS-dev] d.* commands

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Wed May 24 17:19:31 EDT 2006

Jachym Cepicky wrote:

> > As the longer-term plan is to eliminate monitor processes altogether
> > and have the raster library generate image files directly, there will
> > need to be an option to feed each new image file to a user-specified
> > command to display the image, so that running d.* commands from an
> > interactive shell continues to work (more or less) as it does at
> > present.
>
> I wonder, how complicated would it be to send the "monitor" process to
> background (fork), where it would watch over some PNG or other file and display
> it or similar process? This could solve the d.rast|vect commands.

It would be easier (and more reliable) to make the raster library do
this explicitly in R_close_driver(). I'm thinking along the lines of a
GRASS variable or environment variable which can be used to specify a
program which would be run whenever the library finishes writing an
image file.

This could either run an image viewer (e.g. xview, xli etc) directly
(which would give you one instance per image), or a "remote-control"
program (along the lines of gimp-remote) to force a persistent process
to load the image. A remote-control command for gis.m would be a high
priority at that point.

If you were running the d.* commands from the GUI, you wouldn't
specify a program; the GUI would load the file when the command
completes.