[GRASS-dev] GUI toolkits

twiens twiens at interbaun.com
Fri May 26 14:00:29 EDT 2006

----- Original Message Follows -----
From: Jachym Cepicky <jachym.cepicky at centrum.cz>
To: twiens <twiens at interbaun.com>
Cc: grass-dev at grass.itc.it
Subject: Re: [GRASS-dev] GUI toolkits
Date: Fri, 26 May 2006 17:43:38 +0200

> I scripted G-ps.map
> (http://les-ejk.cz/?cat=gpsmap) with Glade, because I
> could not find anything similar to it for wxWindows.
> Actually, the reason, why I choosed Gtk  was Glade.

That is a pretty nice looking application. I'll have to try
it later.

> Glade is very nice tool, the configuration files for new
> gui are stored in XML, which can be edited directly. I was
> fearing, how fast will the new on-the-fly generated gui,
> but even on my laptop it goes very well.
>
> I do not say, that we should use Gtk, but I thing, tool
> similar to Glade for wxWindows would be *very* importand
> for fast and simple development.
>
> I tryed to make some graphical app. using PythonCard right
> now and I would say, glade works a little bit other, IMHO
> better, way. Also the resulting file is python code and
> not XML (or somethign "neutral"),  which means, that the
> GUI can be created only with python and not from  other
> languages. Also generating the graphical forms for modules
> by g.parser seems simplier as XML rather than python to me
> - but this will be done sometime in the future, if ever.

This is a very good point. As I said I don't have any
experience building GUI's with Python so this is valuable
information. Glade seems interesting, I'll have to check it
out; thanks. One of the elegant things about g.parser right
now is that is trivial to create a simple gui from shell
scripts. I think this would be highly desirable to retain
for future gui environment. I think the earlier e-mails from
David F. clearly indicate that those who use shell scripts
want to see those abilities fully retained even if a
language specific CLI is provided.

Trevor Wiens