[GRASS-dev] Discussing new GUI toolkit: v.pydigit

Jachym Cepicky jachym.cepicky at centrum.cz
Tue May 30 19:58:52 EDT 2006

Hallo,

concerning the discussion about new GUI, used toolkit, programing
language, etc., etc., etc. I started to write script, which could show
us the way/problems/advantages/disadvantages.

It is the python script, with GTK+ toolkit (PyGTK). The GUI is build by
Glade. It took me 3 days include pretty much learning of how the things
are done by glade/pygtk, to write such an gui. I would say, it is pretty
fast.

v.pydigit should be graphical frontend to v.edit. Currently implemented
functions:

    * Displaying points
    * Displaying lines
    * Digitizing new points
    * Digitizing new lines (snaping included)
    * Zoom/Pan menu while digitizing by clicking with right mouse button

    * Zoom In/Out, Pan
    * Deleting lines
    * Deleting points
    * ...

Not all function in the list are *really* working, because of currently
limitations of v.edit (e.g. removing selected features means only mark
them as removed, the vector file is not touched). But that is not the target.
Target was to try, how difficult would it be for someone like me, who has only
limited programing skills (I learn python since 3 months, pygtk sice 1)

Known problems:

    * Data reading/writing: Currently, the data are read through
        v.out.ascii  and the output (new data storing) is made by
        v.edit

        Sollution: Swig? OGR?

    * Raster map display.
        Sollution: Swig? GDAL? r.out.png?

Screenshots:
    http://les-ejk.cz/tmp/vpydigit1.png
    http://les-ejk.cz/tmp/vpydigit2.png

Tar.gz:
    http://les-ejk.cz/programs/grass/v.pydigit-31.5.05-1.tgz

What do you thing about it?
Atleast for me, it is usefull experience for next work on g-ps.map ;-)

Good night! Looking forward to your comments.

Jachym

|-- Vdigit
|   |-- __init__.py
|   |-- etc