[GRASS-dev] Discussing new GUI toolkit: v.pydigit

Stefan Paulick stefan.paulick at urbeli.com
Wed May 31 04:15:42 EDT 2006

Am 31.05.2006, 07:22 Uhr, schrieb Michael Barton <michael.barton at asu.edu>:

> However, it seems that quite a few researchers are familiar with Python
> some extent. With a few notable exceptions, many of the active
> contributors
> to GRASS development are researchers who know some programming rather
> than
> programmers. This means that there may be a reasonable large group of
> potential contributors with some expertise in Python.

I've never met ever since a Tcl/Tk programmer in Industrial Automation :-)

Yes, there are loads of python-programmers out in the fields.
And for the old fossils like me, python is plain and simple to learn
and it is pretty easy to understand the code. It's worth giving python a
try.

> Using Python will probably be slower than using one of theseGUI
> platforms directly/natively. But this may not matter
> if the GUI sets on top of GRASS C modules, maintaining the current
> modular architecture that nearly everyone responding appears to like.

We use python for realtime image processing in test&measurement
applications.
The visible bottlenecks are disk-I/O, serial- and usb-devices, not the GUI.

In Grass I would estimate that most of the raster module execution time is
eaten by reading and writing entire lines of the raster.
When working with a 9x9 grid of raster points, there are 9 rows of data to
be transfered from and back to the disk (right?).

And yes, the modular architekture suits very well to be "glued" by python.
Maybe there are some minor adaptions neccessary to unify the text- and
message
passing, but this is to be cleaned up anyway.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen / With kindest regards

Stefan Paulick

http://www.urbeli.com
mailto://stefan.paulick@urbeli.com