[GRASS-dev] Maybe a bug?

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Wed May 31 18:01:10 EDT 2006

Michael Barton wrote:

> Recently, I¹ve found that when I close GRASS (6.1 cvs) on my Mac, it doesn¹t
> seem to exit some of the GRASS libraries. When I¹ve tried to update my
> binary version (and discard the old one), I¹m getting errors that following
> files are still in use, even after I¹ve quite GRASS and x11.
>
> libgrass_gis.6.1.cvs.dylib
> libgrass_driver.gis.6.1.cvs.dylib
> libgrass_datetime.gis.6.1.cvs.dylib
> monitorcap

The fact that libgrass_driver is amongst them implies a display
driver. Use "ps ax" to list the running processes, and kill anything
which is left over from a GRASS session.

I have no idea why monitorcap would be affected; it isn't a binary
file. I don't know about MacOSX specifically, but Unix allows you to
"delete" (i.e. unlink) files which are open; it just won't let you
modify a file which is mapped for execution (i.e. executables or
shared libraries).