[GRASS-dev] Re: [GRASS-user] r.reclass not spawning xterm on Mac OS X

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 9 23:36:02 EST 2006

 > Michael Barton wrote:
> > You have to run r.reclass with arguments to get to the xterm
> > interface. From the GIS Manager, there is a script that does this.
> >
> > Running r.reclass without arguments will open a GUI that is pretty
> > useless.

I have modified r.reclass and r.recode in 6.3-CVS to force interactive
term mode if they are run without arguements. The GUI wrapper scripts
should not be affected. Let me know if they don't.

> A couple of potentially useful enhancements:
>
> 1. Add a rules= option to r.reclass which accepts the name of a file
> containing reclass rules.
>
> 2. Add a button to the standard dialogs which allows stdin to be
> redirected from a user-specified file.
>
> Either of those would allow r.reclass to be usable without a terminal.

this is exactly what Michael's two wrapper scripts provide.

> There's still the general issue of what we do about
> terminal-interactive modules. So long as at least one such module
> exists, the issue remains.
>
> Either we decide to "kill them all",

not until functionality is ported to something newer, or analysis method
is conisdered obsolete. (does anyone use the i.class stuff?)

> and declare all use of stdin to be a bug,

stdin is very useful for scripting use. the problem is exclusive input
via stdin (or interactive term) and no option to take from a file. you
can have input from a file as the primary method and still allow the
module to take data from stdin.

> or we need some way for a module to indicate that it needs (or may
> need) a terminal. The latter is complicated by the fact that a module
> may only require a terminal in certain circumstances.

It's not a full solution at all, but see above r.reclass commit.

> Comments? Please. I'd *really* like to get this issue dealt with; it's
> been coming up since the days of d.m (maybe even since tcltkgrass).

trying to get a list of remaining modules:

r.le - in the process of being replaced by r.li
r.digit - just a frontend to r.in.poly, easily replaced by a wxPython
  utility (integrate with wxPython version of v.digit as g.digitize?)
r.watershed - all sorts of interactive menus in shed/ which I'm not sure
  how to access.
r.support - being worked on by Brad

i.* are the main apps without a solution in progress.

$ grep -rI G_ask * | cut -f1 -d: | uniq

general/g.setproj/get_datum.c
general/g.setproj/main.c
general/manage/lib/ask.c
general/g.ask/main.c
include/P_site.h
include/gisdefs.h
lib/gis/ask_vctrs.c
lib/gis/ask_cell.c
lib/gis/nme_in_mps.c
lib/gis/ask.c
lib/gis/get_ell_name.c
lib/gis/gislib.dox
lib/gis/get_projname.c
lib/gis/gisvectorlib.dox
lib/gis/get_datum_name.c
lib/gis/parser.c
lib/gis/gisrasterlib.dox
lib/imagery/sigfile.c
lib/imagery/sigsetfile.c
lib/sites/sites.c
raster/r.le
raster/r.watershed
raster/r.support
raster/r.coin/inter.c
raster3d/r3.showdspf/r3_find.c
raster3d/r3.mkdspf/r3_find.c

$ grep -rI '$(VASKLIB)' * | grep Makefile | cut -f1 -d:
general/g.mapsets/Makefile
general/g.access/Makefile
imagery/i.cca/Makefile
imagery/i.ifft/Makefile