[GRASS-dev] [bug #5291] (grass) broken rpm for fc5?

Brad Douglas rez at touchofmadness.com
Thu Nov 16 20:16:49 EST 2006

On Thu, 2006-11-16 at 21:48 +0100, Request Tracker wrote:
> this bug's URL: http://intevation.de/rt/webrt?serial_num=5291
>
> Subject: broken rpm for fc5?
>
> grass obtained from: Trento Italy site
> grass binary for platform: Downloaded precompiled Binaries
> GRASS Version: 6.2.0
>
> Is the Grass rpm for fc5 broken perhaps, or is it just me? There appears to be a whole bunch of unresolved dependencies (all of them core grass libraries). While the Grass rpm for fc4 complains of two unresolved Xorg type dependencies on my machine (bug report #5253), it appears to install and run fine on fc5 (kernel 2.6.17-1.2187_FC5, with all other Fedora updates available up to about two weeks ago applied) using --nodeps. This is not the case with the Grass rpm for fc5. Whether I try to install over the fc4 version, or remove the fc4 version first, the fc5 version will not install without --nodeps, and once installed it won't load - gis.m flashes on the screen very briefly and then grass dies.

IIRC, some X dependency names have changed with the move to xorg.  The
fc6 RPMs should work fine on fc5 systems.  I vaguely remember making a
related change in the spec file when building the fc6 RPMs.

If you could post the error message, it would be very helpful to
determine the nature of the problem.  Most of us aren't mind readers,
but we are working on it. :-)

--
Brad Douglas <rez touchofmadness com>                    KB8UYR/6
Address: 37.493,-121.924 / WGS84    National Map Corps #TNMC-3785