[GRASS-dev] strange thing on compilation of cvs

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Fri Nov 24 21:00:40 EST 2006

Yann Chemin wrote:

> I am moving to a Debian based distro (Kanotix: Debian unstable/sid).
> did a fresh cvs update, in configure, i did not enable MySQL.
>
> while installing, many (all?) vector modules failed, including
> /lib/proj, the first one to fail on the list. While doing "make" in
> /lib/proj, i discovered that it was requiring libmysqlclient... after
> an apt-get install libmysqlclient15-dev, it is fixed.
>
> is it a new requirement? or something i did wrong?

lib/proj uses GDAL, so it requires whatever GDAL requires. If GDAL
requires MySQL, then so does anything which uses GDAL.

If GDAL requires the MySQL client library, but you managed to install
the GDAL -dev package without installing the MySQL client -dev
package, that suggests that the GDAL -dev package doesn't have correct
dependency information.

The problem could lie elsewhere, but I'm fairly sure that it lies
outside of GRASS. If you don't use --with-mysql, there won't be any
references to libmysqlclient in any of the Makefiles, so the only way
it can be referenced is as a dependency of an external library.

And that library is probably GDAL, due to the number of optional
dependencies (one of which is MySQL).