[GRASS-dev] Re: [bug #4905] (grass) gis.m: d.text.freetype does not allow spaces in text

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Fri Sep 1 13:12:15 EDT 2006

Glynn Clements wrote:

> > > Would that let us drop d.text.freetype then?
> >
> > Yes. And I'm thinking about merging d.font and d.font.freetype, if
> > feasible.
>
> I'd like to propose merging freetype and stroke fonts, so that
> R_font() is used for both, with the type being detected automatically.
> This would allow the use of FreeType fonts in all modules.

By which, I didn't mean "go ahead and do it without discussing it with
anyone, including the person who has done 95% of the recent work on
the display architecture and will probably be doing a similar
proportion of future work in that area".

Patch reverted. Again.

The right place to have done this would be lib/driver/Font.c.

lib/raster is supposed to be the bare minimum needed to dispatch R_*
calls to either the local or remote driver. All of the actual
functionality is supposed to go into either lib/driver or the
individual drivers (lib/pngdriver or display/drivers/XDRIVER).

I'm currently testing the corresponding changes to lib/driver.