[GRASS-dev] Re: [bug #4905] (grass) gis.m: d.text.freetype does not allow spaces in text

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Sat Sep 2 01:53:50 EDT 2006

Huidae Cho wrote:

> > > Do we really need the charset field in freetypecap?
> >
> > It's not essential.
> >
> > AIUI, the original purpose was so that you could just use font=<alias>
> > to specify both a font and an encoding. But then, freetypecap
> > originally contained a lot of other fields, e.g. size and colour, so
> > the font= option really specified a complete "style".
>
> Right, that's why I removed all those settings.  As I know, charset does
> not need to be changed during one session or even in one's system as
> long as they do not change their encodings such as LC_CTYPE.  Why would
> one want to use character sets other than their terminal's encoding
> (LC_CTYPE)?

The text may come from a file which uses a different encoding. In some
cases, it may contain characters which cannot be represented in the
locale's encoding.

> That being said, maybe, we can drop charset= option and,
> instead, use the GRASS_FT_ENCODING environment variable.

Note that $GRASS_FONT, $GRASS_FT_FONT and $GRASS_FT_ENCODING are
currently only used for immediate rendering, where d.font[.freetype]
won't work (every d.* command is self-contained; the actions performed
by one command cannot affect subsequent commands).