[GRASS-dev] GRASS 6.2.0beta2 published

William Kyngesburye woklist at kyngchaos.com
Sat Sep 2 15:45:50 EDT 2006

I have a Mac OS X app available for download now for 6.2b2 (and also
for today's 6.3 snapshot).

http://www.kyngchaos.com/

I added a build template similar to GEM for building addon modules.
It doesn't require the module to be setup for GEM by the author (I
didn't see any that were in the few that I looked at), but only an
easy change to the module's makefile.  It doesn't have a registry or
add the module to the GUI menus.  Just a quick-n-dirty hack for now -
I'm not trying to replace GEM.

There is also an Application Support configuration for adding the
modules so the app package doesn't need to be changed.

This brings me to a point about extending GRASS in a Mac
environment.  An installed application should not be changed, and for
an unprivileged user it probably _can't_ be changed (goes for other
OS's also).  Also, with drag-n-drop installs and updates, one can
easily forget and wipe out addons in the app package.  GRASS needs
more support for external configuration and expansion.

Module binaries are easily handled by the GRASS_ADDON_PATH env.
Modules that have their own libraries can use DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH (or
LD_LIBRARY_PATH) to point to an external library location.  What is
missing is how to integrate extra documentation from an external
location, and how to handle GUI extras like adding the modules to
menus without changing the base menus.  Module etc/ stuff could also
be a problem.

... Something to think about.  I'll probably add something to the
GRASS 7 Idea page.

On Aug 30, 2006, at 5:29 PM, Markus Neteler wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> I have put online the next beta at
> http://grass.itc.it/grass62/source/
>
> Please test!
>
> The changes are listed here:
> http://grass.gdf-hannover.de/wiki/GRASS_6.2_Feature_Plan
>
> Thanks,
> Markus

-----
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

"Oh, look, I seem to have fallen down a deep, dark hole.  Now what
does that remind me of?  Ah, yes - life."

- Marvin

-----
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

Theory of the Universe

There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly
what the universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly
disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarrely
inexplicable.  There is another theory which states that this has
already happened.

-Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy 2nd season intro