[GRASS-dev] gis.m patch

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Sun Sep 3 17:07:35 EDT 2006

Huidae Cho wrote:

> > This is GREAT. Thanks very much. I have a couple questions.
> >
> > 1. Is there a binary version of this available for people to try?
>
> No, not yet.  Since the native winGRASS runs on MSys, users need to
> install various MSys/GnuWin32 packages as well as GRASS.  I want to
> distribute a whole system including MSys/GnuWin32 binaries, but I'm not
> sure about license issues related to redistribution.  It looks like most
> of packages are under GPL licenses, so can I?  It could be really
> annoying for non-techy users to choose right packages from their sites
> (it's not like Cygwin).

Most of the packages you are likely to need will allow bundling with
GRASS in a single installer or archive.

The only case which might be problematic is if you are using
ActiveState Tcl/Tk; the licencing conditions for that looked like they
might be problematic, so I've been using the standard Tcl/Tk packages
built from source instead.

> > 3. Could you give me a brief one-liner of what each change to gism is
> > intended to do so I can find a way to keep this in the code if it does have
> > issues on other platforms?
>
> As mentioned above, the only problem was the null device.  On Windows,
> it's called "nul" and that's the only change that I made.

There is also this one:

	# Actually run the program
	- set cmd [concat | $cmd 2>@ stdout]
	+ if { $mingw == "1" } {
	+  set cmd [concat | $cmd]
	+ } {
	+  set cmd [concat | $cmd 2>@ stdout]
	+ }

What happens without that change?

> > 4. Does NVIZ work?
>
> No.  The configure message below is misleading because I tried to use
> libW11, which WAS part of grass5.

Note that NVIZ does work natively under Windows (using MinGW/MSys);
the only problem I ran into was that you need to redirect NVIZ' stdin
from /dev/null otherwise "exec" hangs (redirect stdin within the exec
command doesn't work).