[GRASS-dev] [bug #5095] (grass) gis.m: non-existant column name in thematic layer leads to non-existant gismlegend.txt error and frozen display

Request Tracker grass-bugs at intevation.de
Mon Sep 4 05:41:27 EDT 2006

this bug's URL: http://intevation.de/rt/webrt?serial_num=5095

Subject: gis.m: non-existant column name in thematic layer leads to non-existant gismlegend.txt error and frozen display

Platform: GNU/Linux/x86
grass obtained from: CVS
grass binary for platform: Compiled from Sources
GRASS Version: cvs_head_20060829

As gis.m doesn't trap the error of a wrong column name in d.vect.thematic, it then goes on to try to create a legend, but cannot find gismlegend.txt. It then freezes the display.

To reproduce in spearfish:

- in gis.m, add thematic layer
- chose any of the relevant vector files (I used landcover)
- give a ficticious column name in the attribute column field
- launch display

The problem seems to be in commonlayer.tcl which doesn't seem to trap error messages from the command (although I don't have the time to try to understand all the code there) and in thematic.tcl (line 536) where the legend is created even if the command was unsuccessful.

Moritz