[GRASS-dev] v.in.ogr broken (\w shp)

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 5 01:30:50 EDT 2006

Helena:
> > it is one more reason to change the default DBMS in future (GRASS7?)

Michael:
> I'd vote for in GRASS 6.3 if it's doable.

... and SQLite is probably the only alternative to DBF that is simple
enough not to cause undue installation headaches for new users.

discussed this recently,
  http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.gis.grass.devel/14634/

As William's points out there, all vector attributes are stored in one
file per mapset. This is problematic for:
 - backups or easy transfer of a single map to another system
 - disk error etc would trash all vectors in mapset, not just the one map
 - with many vector maps in the same mapset 32bit users will rapidly hit
   the 2gb file size limit.

Is per-map $MAPSET/vector/$MAPNAME/sqlite.db (or similar) possible?

Hamish