[GRASS-dev] making grass modules less verbose

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Wed Sep 20 16:38:44 EDT 2006

Jachym Cepicky wrote:

> > i think this is a nice idea.
> > Some modules are very verbose and with this approach a general
> > way is provided to handle this verbosity.
>
> I prepared new patch (for current cvs version) which makes all modules
> be able to use --verbose flag or to set GRASS_VERBOSE env. variable.
>
> G_message, G_warning and G_percent are now able to handle according to
> the user needs.

A few comments:

1. G_warning() should not be affected; warnings should be displayed
regardless of the verbosity setting.

2. I would provide a --quiet flag to allow verbosity to be disabled
for individual cases.

3. I wouldn't check for a GRASS variable with G__getenv(), as you
can't override that on a per-process basis.