[GRASS-dev] Need to update g.setproj

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Thu Sep 28 11:02:44 EDT 2006

Paul,

Thanks for the detailed reply. The larger problem is that Windows and Mac
'native' (i.e., aqua) platforms don't use an xterm. So I don't see how we
can require interactive xterm use. It can be an optional way to run the
module if you are using a terminal, but we also need to be able to achieve
the same function without this.

What I suggest is simply that the module fail with a meaningful error
message (e.g. "You must enter a datum transformation for this projection")
if the proper combination of parameters are not set in the end. It is fairly
straightforward to do the interactive part in a GUI platform like TclTk or
wxPython. Users would be prompted for different options depending on which
other options they chose. That is, different options would be presented for
wgs84 UTM than for NAD83.

To do this, however, it must be completely runable from the command line,
with no interaction required. This takes considerable burden of the
underlying C module. Don't worry about dropping the xterm interaction that
is already there. People can continue to use it if desired. We just need an
alternative mode that does not require it. The latter could be turned on and
off by a flag, for example.

Michael
Center for Social Dynamics & Complexity
Arizona State University