[GRASS-dev] ascii export and import, large file problem

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 18 04:30:38 EDT 2007

Gerald Nelson wrote:
> Helena, I think the issue when I tried this before is that grass
> doesn't know that x and y are in degrees while z is in meters. It
> either assumes they are the same or uses the zfactor option to
> multiply the z value by something to get it into the same units as x
> and y.
>
> But if I could tell grass that the z units were meters explicitly,
> couldn't grass do the conversion automatically? Especially since the
> conversion changes as you move north.

http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.gis.grass.devel/19353/
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.gis.grass.devel/19523/

--relevant quotes--
[1...]
For a real y-axis label I think we need to add a new (optional) "units"
element to the raster format (e.g. in cell_misc/).
[2...]
> The user should be able to add a title for the legend.

For vlegends that's doable. For raster legends I hope to add
G_set_raster_units() and G_get_raster_units() to write/read a simple
string containing raster data units (set from "r.support units=") which
will be stored in $MAPSET/cell_misc/$RASTERMAP/units. Raster legends and
things like lat/lon NVIZ and r.shaded.relief could use the tag if it
existed.
--endquote--

apparently cell_misc/ is evil, so that moves it to
$MAPSET/units/$RASTERMAP until GRASS7  when it moves to
$MAPSET/raster/$RASTERMAP/units

I don't like to add another element dir to $MAPSET, but...

Hamish