[GRASS-dev] font path question for Linux and Windows

William Kyngesburye woklist at kyngchaos.com
Mon Apr 30 12:14:15 EDT 2007

On Apr 30, 2007, at 3:34 AM, Glynn Clements wrote:

>> Note that font names on OSX aren't required to follow any file
>> extension conventions.  First the HFS+ file type/creator is used to
>> determine if a file is a font, then the file extension if the type/
>> creator are empty.  I think it's that order.
>>
>> So scanning automatically for fonts to create the freetypecap may
>> miss many fonts, unless it knew how to check OSX type/creator info
>> for a file.
>>
>> ie the MS fonts that come with the system have no extension.  Also,
>> many TT fonts in OSX have been repackaged in the .dfont (a flattened
>> resource-fork file).
>
> In which case, users will need to construct the freetypecap file
> manually.

If you do that, there is not much point to the automatic scan - most
of the useful TT fonts that are included with OSX are either dfonts
or have no extension.  Most, if not all, of the included .ttf TT
fonts are miscellaneous language fonts.

But, then there is another problem (and in general TT font usage) -
d.font.freetype doesn't handle multiple faces in a file.  Many dfonts
and resource fonts (the ones with no extension) have multiple faces
in a single file (ie regular, italic, bold..).  Without specifying
the face index or name, freetype defaults to the first face in a font
file. (I thought I made a feature request for this, but I don't see
it in either tracker)  There is no guarantee that plain/regular will
be the first face in a font file, so you may get italic or bold or
other unexpected style.

A few more comments:

- Add /System/Library/Fonts to the search paths (assuming some way to
handle other file extensions, or lack of, is worked out, as well as
multiple faces in a file).  Helvetica and Times are in here.  As well
as Lucida Grande (with a fairly complete international character set)
and a few other basic fonts.

$HOME/Library/Fonts would be another good default dir to search.  And
to do these in the proper OSX order of precedence would be: $HOME/
Library/Fonts /Library/Fonts /System/Library/Fonts.  $HOME can have
spaces if it's on a network driver, so that path at least should be
quoted.

- Maybe Michael's proposed font path env var could be used here?  For
additional user font paths to search automatically.

- since this is now in /tools and installed in etc/, that implies
that mkftcap will get run automatically somehow?  From GUI?  Or some
future script module?  On startup?  Then it will destroy a user's
manually created freetypecap, so it should be as thorough as
possible.  Or add some sort of divider in the freetypecap between
user entries and auto-generated entries, and mkftcap would not
overwrite user edits.

- regenerating the freetypecap at runtime in the GRASS application
folder is not a good thing on OSX (see my previous discussions about
OSX apps and user preference/config/addon files).  There should be
some way to have GRASS look for alternative external freetypecap
files, for both generating the freetypecap file, and reading it to
set the font.

This is a good candidate for my new G_find_etc() function.  Find the
first writable freetypecap in the etc paths (G_find_etc() would need
to be expanded to do that).

-----
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

Earth: "Mostly harmless"

- revised entry in the HitchHiker's Guide to the Galaxy