[GRASS-dev] question about any July changes in hydrology functions

Helena Mitasova hmitaso at unity.ncsu.edu
Thu Aug 2 01:24:48 EDT 2007

That is what I call a gridding effect -
check it out here - and this was done only with simwe and r.mapcalc
- no r.flow, r.neighbors, etc.
(some of the problem actually may be hidden in r.mapcalc computations)

http://skagit.meas.ncsu.edu/~helena/gmslab/oxfordms/oxf.html

you can see how it evolves here (you start seeing it after several
iterations - it is there from the start
but it is small at the beginning and just grows over time until you
start seeing it)

http://skagit.meas.ncsu.edu/~helena/gmslab/oxfordms/eledhedge.gif

I thought that smoothing will take care of it but apparently just the
opposite
We need to find out what to do about it - I think that
  it is more related to the modeling approach than GRASS itself,

BTW as I understand it median is computed by dividing the values into
a finite number of classes
so the median from a continuous field would not change continuously
from cell to cell and
the effect you are getting could be expected especially for larger
number of cells.
Mean is computed directly from the floating point values - is that
right?

Helena

Helena Mitasova
Dept. of Marine, Earth and Atm. Sciences
1125 Jordan Hall, NCSU Box 8208,
Raleigh NC 27695