Mediawiki / Tracwiki [was Re: [GRASS-dev] improved suport for WMS in GDAL 1.5]

Martin Landa landa.martin at gmail.com
Tue Dec 11 06:05:19 EST 2007

Hamish,

2007/12/11, Hamish <hamish_nospam at yahoo.com>:

> Martin Landa wrote:
> > BTW, it was not discussed here yet, I think it would be good to slowly
> > move dev's stuff from Mediawiki to Tracwiki, see
> >
> > http://trac.osgeo.org/grass/wiki
> >
> > E.g.
> >
> > http://trac.osgeo.org/grass/wiki/Release/6.3.0RC3-News
> >
> > and
> >
> > http://grass.gdf-hannover.de/wiki/GRASS_6.3_Feature_Plan
> >
> > User-related issues will be maintained using Mediawiki (which will be
> > also migrated to OSGeo), dev's topics should be part Trac instance.
>

> I think there are very important reasons to keep the user and devel wikis as
> one. It stresses the coupling of the two: in GRASS the users are the
> developers, and the developers are some of the heaviest users. The less of a
> split we have between the two, the more likely we will be to have users become
> developers.
>
> So the fewer barriers between the two the better, aka constructing artificial
> barriers is to be avoided.
>
> Having said that, I can see the advantages of splitting them:
>
> * User wiki should be using (osgeo hosted) MediaWiki not Trac's wiki. MediaWiki
> has a much richer feature set, and is more suited for documentation. e.g. for
> images.

I agree (personally I love MediaWiki), there is no plan to migrate
stuff from current GRASS-MediaWiki to TracWiki. We just want to
migrate GRASS-Wiki from the server located in Germany to OSGeo server
(including version update from 1.6 to 1.11).

> * If the devl pages are using Trac's wiki it can tie in better with the bug
> tracker and SVN code commit revision ID's.
>
> Is the technical trac integration tools the main reason to use that? Examples

I guess so, especially for release-news or release feature plans
(integration with tickets, milestones, road map, etc.).

> from another OSGeo project using this?
> Is this useful enough to outweigh the (intangible) culture damage caused by
> splitting up the wiki into two parts/logins/links?

I am not sure about culture damage, I just think that it is better to
use TracWiki for (e.g.) release feature plan then separately in
MediaWiki. To use TracWiki only if there is reason for that, for stuff
connected to the development, e.g. release feature plan (because of
the technical integration: milestones, tickets, etc.).

?

Martin

Martin Landa <landa.martin at gmail.com> * http://gama.fsv.cvut.cz/~landa *