[GRASS-dev] WxPython front-end to ps.map

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 8 23:00:22 EST 2007

Moritz Lennert wrote:
> [1] one example: at this stage proportionate symbols are not drawn in
> descending order of size, thus potentially hiding smaller symbols. I
> corrected that in the new version of d.vect.chart I proposed, but it
> is still an issue in ps.map. This gets even more complicated when you
> want to add a color scheme to that as you have to use a separate
> vpoints command for each color and making sorting symbols by size
> almost impossible, but allowing the use of the RGB column in ps.map
> would solve that (I remember there being mails about this latter
> issue, but can't  find them now).
> Maybe not a fundamental issue for most, but a show stopper for
> adopting GRASS as the main GIS and cartography tool here in my
> department where a lot of proportionate symbol maps are drawn.

http://intevation.de/rt/webrt?serial_num=5129

What about cases like Markus's PHP earthquake map, where you want the
new big symbols to be drawn on top of older ones? If automatically
sorted, there is no way to unsort them in cases when that is more
appropriate.

work-around 1) fillcolor = none

work-around 2) border color = none. Then all are equal depth :)

work-around 3) things are drawn by their cat #, so add a column,
populate it with a ranking, and then use v.reclass column= to use them
as cat numbers.

Support for GRASSRGB in ps.map is wish #3299.

Hamish