[GRASS-dev] [grass-code patches][280] Fix Help button in gis.m raster/vector display conf locks up gis.m

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Sun Feb 11 12:41:56 EST 2007

Maris,

When I try both "run" and "spawn" procedures for starting g.manual on my Mac
x11 GUI, both work fine without locking up anything. So I can't track why it
may be locking on yours (a few other people reported this issue, but it has
been variable in its persistence AFAICT). However, if I use spawn, it
generates the following message in the terminal every time the module help
button is pressed.

Starting browser <open> for module d.rast...

Other than a bit of clutter, this doesn't cause any other issues (but why do
we have this rather pointless message being sent to stderr?)

There was some recent discussion about help functionality/non-functionality
under windows and I remember something about the menu version of GRASS help
working, while the buttons in the options panels and module dialogs were
problematic sometimes.

This is the code for help in the menu. Maybe it would work better on all
systems (requires "global devnull" to be declared in the relevant
procedure).

exec g.manual -i d.rast > $devnull &

Does this work without lockup for you? Does it work for Windows...anyone?

Michael

On 2/10/07 10:21 AM, "grass-codepatches at wald.intevation.org"
<grass-codepatches at wald.intevation.org> wrote:

> code patches item #280, was opened at 2007-02-10 19:21
> Patch status: None
> Patch type: fix
> GRASS component: gis.m
> GRASS version: CVS HEAD
> GRASS CVS checkout date, if applies (YYMMDD): 070210
>

> Initial Comment:
> In GRASS 6.2.1 if You press "Help" to get help about raster/vector displaying,
> it will run g.manual and lock up gis.m till You close browser (konqueror). Not
> good.
> In GRASS 6.3.cvs if You do same, gis.m will remain locked also after closing
> help browser (konqueror). Only way out after pressing help is to use xkill.
> Really bad.
>
> This patch changes all "run g.manual foo" in gis.m to "spawn g.manual foo". It
> works now for me with CVS head (10.02.2007.) and Konqueror. I can open help
> and continue to use gis.m in same time. If looks OK, somebody commit it,
> please.

> You can respond by visiting:
> http://wald.intevation.org/tracker/?func=detail&atid=205&aid=280&group_id=21

Center for Social Dynamics & Complexity