[GRASS-dev] [grass-code patches][280] Fix Help button in gis.m raster/vector display conf locks up gis.m

Michael Barton c.michael.barton at gmail.com
Sun Feb 11 23:41:46 EST 2007

Right. But why is a message generated to tell me that I am starting a
browser for module d.rast... This is what I intended to do, and a
message to this effect sent to stderr seems redundant. I can see
getting a message "Unable to open browser <open> for module
d.rast...", but I don't see why one is necessary to tell the user
that the program is indeed doing what it is supposed to do. (grumble
grumble grumble). This is a message that I don't remember seeing before.

Michael

On Feb 11, 2007, at 9:32 PM, Hamish wrote:

> Michael Barton wrote:
>>
>> Starting browser <open> for module d.rast...
>
> lib/init/init.sh sets this:
>
>   elif [ "$HOSTTYPE" = "macintosh" -o "$HOSTTYPE" = "powermac" -o
> "$HOSTTYPE" = "powerpc" ] ; then
>       GRASS_HTML_BROWSER=open
>

> As for MacOSX you can do "open URL" from the command line to launch
> safari.
>
> Apparently that forks itself into a background process, but that
> behavior
> is specific to OSX's "open" command. If GRASS_HTML_BROWSER is set to a
> regular program name, it probably won't background itself.
>

> Hamish

PO Box 872402
Arizona State University
Tempe, AZ  85287-2402