[GRASS-dev] GUI startup doesn't source ~/.grass.bashrc

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 12 02:36:33 EST 2007

Another issue.. gis.m loaded from init.sh ignores ~/.grass.bashrc.

e.g. my ~/.grass.bashrc  has:
export GRASS_HTML_BROWSER=dillo

If I start GRASS in -gui mode the [Help] button from the gis.m menus
ignores my $GRASS_HTML_BROWSER setting and uses Mozilla.

If I start gis.m from an already running GRASS prompt, [Help] loads
dillo.

Should:
- the terminal session somehow start gis.m instead of init.sh
- gis.m "source" .grass.bashrc (& co.) if it exists
- in init.sh move source .grass.bashrc (& co.) before the gui startup
- or we drop .rc support for GUI GRASS   :-(

Polluting ~/.bashrc with a lot of GRASS stuff is a pain.

Another example: in .grass.bashrc I renice GRASS to a low priority (+15)
so during long processing jobs I can work on other things without much
slowdown.

Hamish