[GRASS-dev] Re: grass-dev Digest, Vol 10, Issue 46

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Mon Feb 19 11:47:32 EST 2007

Michael Barton wrote:

> Probably showing undue ignorance, but I have to ask. How can we know if
> something is bash specific or more generally POSIX-compatible?

Run it under a less "enhanced" shell such as ash or dash.

I suspect that this may be the "real" motivation for using dash for
/bin/sh on Ubuntu. Using bash as /bin/sh is asking for people to write
bash-specific scripts (and putting #!/bin/sh at the top of them).

Or see the "Shell & Utilities" section at:

	http://www.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/009695399/toc.htm