[GRASS-dev] Modules

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Wed Feb 21 02:39:04 EST 2007

Brad Douglas wrote:

> > > Glynn also mentioned that in order to do what we want on Windows,
> > > one would have to purchase a QT license, which is not feasible, IMO.
> >
> > This is not an issue in QT 4, which QGIS currently uses.
>
> And who's to say that TrollTech won't make future versions of QT
> unusable (licensing), locking us into QT 4?
>
> I find any OSS project that bases their core around a commercial
> development kit suspect at best.  QGIS has locked themselves into the
> mercy of TrollTech.

Enough free software uses Qt that, should TrollTech stop releasing it
under the GPL (or stop releasing it altogether), there won't be any
lack of manpower to continue development independently.

If you're concerned about the long-term viability of a GUI toolkit, Qt
has a significantly brighter future than libraster.