[GRASS-dev] Re: GRASS-TNG

Maris Nartiss maris.gis at gmail.com
Wed Feb 21 16:51:12 EST 2007

Hi,

Yet Another GIS Soft. I don't thik, that we need Yet Another, as there
are lot's of existing and good project, that just lack manpower to
keep up with growing requirements for GIS software.

I don't want to sound like troll, thus will ask two simple questions:
How You plan to make Yours project to succeed (hiring developers, other way?)?
How Your product is going to differ from already existing projects ant
they goals?
There are lot of existing projects in different languages with different goals:
GRASS ;)
QuantumGIS
SAGA
uDig
gvSIG
JUMP
+ different web based projects etc.

I suggest to take look at SAGA first - it's working, it's modular,
it's C++. Maybee would be better to improve already existing
programms?

And, yes, IMHO it's more easy to learn how to drop together some C
lines to get new GRASS module, than learn how to do same in C++ with
all GUI stuf. That's why I like GRASS - I can help GRASS development
eaven if I'm not a programmer/coder.

Just my (trolls) pieace of wood to keep flamme burning.
Maris.