[GRASS-dev] GRASS inefficiency and FFTW

stefano de paoli dplsfn at yahoo.it
Mon Feb 26 19:08:09 EST 2007

Hi Glynn,

> > Is this an example of the fact that Free Software
> is primarly about
> > freedom than about efficiency?
>
> Yes; hence the term "Free Software" rather than
> "Efficient Software".
>
> Of course, the two aren't mutually exclusive.

That's exactly what I meant.
So, maybe my conclusion was not necessarily wrong.

I'm safe :-) Maybe I don't have to throw away my
analysis.

> FFTW itself is free software, and it has
> substantially better
> performance than the old NR FFT implementation (or
> just about any
> other implementation in existence, AFAICT). The
> inefficiency is a
> consequence of implementing a "minimal" change
> (preserving the
> existing fft() interface) rather than an "ideal" one
> (modifying the
> callers to use a more appropriate interface).

Someone else in this thread suggested that the minimal
Vs the ideal change might be due to the "development
cost".
As far as I know you did the change. Was the minimal
change really a choice of development cost or
something else?

Stefano