[GRASS-dev] GRASS startup window patches

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Sat Jan 6 11:29:11 EST 2007

What about having a warning about the suboptimal datum being issued, now
that we're on the way to dealing with such warnings in some way? This could
suggest that the user run g.proj to correct the problems.

Given that GRASS needs a location created to do anything, in some
circumstances, it may be better to let g.proj go ahead and create a new
location based on a georeferenced file and fix it later. A user may be well
aware of the deficiencies in their data (or could be made aware via a
warning) but simply needs to get the data up and visible to work with. It's
always much better to have properly projected geodata, but I can certainly
think of cases where all the stuff a user will be working with currently has
the same deficiencies.

I'm not trying to promote backing away from the fairly strict data quality
standards that GRASS inherently tries to enforce. But just pointing out that
there are cases where a user needs to be able to proceed in spite of data
problems--which are often common in available products.

Michael

On 1/6/07 4:27 AM, "Paul Kelly" <paul-grass at stjohnspoint.co.uk> wrote:

> Because then, if there is partially-specified datum information, a (likely
> sub-optimal) default set of datum parameters must be used. I tried to
> explain this here:
> http://www.nabble.com/g.proj-and-datum-information-%28and-gis.m%29-t2484411.ht
> ml#a6928102
> and haven't come up with an easier solution since then. All I can say that
> if, either no datum information at all, or fully specified (i.e. datum
> name and parameters) are passed to g.proj as part of the input co-ordinate
> system description, then it won't attempt to interactively prompt. IMHO
> perhaps we need to look at ways the GUI can verify that the datum
> information is complete before it attempts to create the location? I
> really don't know what's best.

Center for Social Dynamics & Complexity
Arizona State University

phone: 480-965-6213