[GRASS-dev] GRASS startup screen patches && Gforge

Maris Nartiss maris.gis at gmail.com
Sun Jan 21 08:56:11 EST 2007

Hi all,

I just tested new Gforge system - submitted two patches to patch
tracker. If I understood correctly, there should be a notification
about such activity to grass-dev ML, but I can not see such one.
Should it be working now?

About patches:

http://wald.intevation.org/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=262&group_id=21&atid=205
Just makes small improvements to startup screen. Like preselects newly
created mapset/location, disables mapset creation in invalid locations
etc. Full change list at GF.

http://wald.intevation.org/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=263&group_id=21&atid=205
This one is a bit more discussion worth. It adds restrictions on
creating new location/mapset from startup screen to allow only Latin
letters and numbers, "-" and "_" symbols in loc/ms name.
1) Allowed symbol list can be easily extended. But allowed symbols
should be allowed in *nix/Mac/Win on all common file systems in
directory names;
2) Restriction to have at least one letter in name IMHO is just sane;
3) Currently GRASS can NOT handle any other letter except Latin on
multi byte locales. As uni byte locales must die (except those, with
plain Latin letters only) as they are only source of problems and
nothing else (I have files with Latvian/Russian/German names in one
folder - UTF is a must). Till GRASS start support multi byte locales,
it's sane restriction. Till that happens, I can only say: "Хюстон, у
нас проблема" (I hope, I spelled it right ;)

If You want something to say about 3rd restriction, tell Your
experience with non-latin letters and don't forget to mention Your
locale setting.

wbr,
Maris.