[GRASS-dev] s.surf.idw.mpi equivalent for grass6.x

Paul Kelly paul-grass at stjohnspoint.co.uk
Sun Jan 28 17:17:14 EST 2007

Hello Yann
The algorithm in s.surf.idw was changed in 5.3.x to be much more
efficient. IMHO this made the s.surf.idw.mpi not so much use - it seems
to me a much more logical improvement to make the point searching and
indexing algorithm more efficient in running on all systems than to keep
the inefficient algorithm and have it run faster on parallel systems! The
improved algorithm is used in v.surf.idw in 6.0+

Have you any quantitative data, that shows the improved s.surf.idw in 5.3+
is still slower than s.surf.idw.mpi. I would be very interested to see
that and see how it can be improved further. The improved version only
uses points within the region, and indexes them according to raster cell
to make them quick to find. The old version searched through *every* site
in the whole map for each raster cell, in order to find the 12 closest. It
was very slow for large site maps. I wrote a little bit about the improved
algorithm in my PhD thesis - see the relevant section here (gzipped
PostScript), section 4.4.2:
ftp://ftp.qub.ac.uk/pub/users/paulk/grass/idw.ps.gz

Let me know your thoughts

Paul