[GRASS-dev] How to specify custom include directories

David Finlayson dfinlayson at usgs.gov
Wed Jul 11 20:19:53 EDT 2007

I'm an idiot.

As soon as I saw your configure line I remembered about the long list of
configure options. In fact, there is a nifty script on the Wiki that
carefully documents everything you need to compile grass on Ubuntu.

That script happens to have been written by an idot...me.

Thanks,

David

On 7/11/07, Helena Mitasova <hmitaso at unity.ncsu.edu> wrote:

> David,
>
> this is the configure I use to compile GRASS with everything (gdal,
> proj and grass, all CVS versions)
> in my home directory:
>
> CFLAGS="-g -Wall" ./configure \
> --prefix=/local/home/helena/grassdev \
> --with-cxx \
> --enable-64bit --with-libs=/usr/lib64 --enable-largefile --enable-
> shared \
> --with-bindir=/local/home/helena/grassdev \
> --with-gdal=/local/home/helena/gsgdal/bin/gdal-config \
> --with-gdal-includes=/local/home/helena/gsgdal/include \
> --with-gdal-libs=/local/home/helena/gsgdal/lib \
> --with-proj=yes \
> --with-proj-includes=/local/home/helena/gproj/include \
> --with-proj-libs=/local/home/helena/gproj/lib \
> --with-proj-share=/local/home/helena/gproj/share/proj \
> --with-motif \
> --with-python
>
> I also had to add the path here (advice from Markus):
>
> system-wide add it to (if you can use sudo )
>    /etc/ld.so.conf
> Then run
> ldconfig
>
> solution just for your login:
> modify $HOME/.bashrc or $HOME/.cshrc depending on your shell
> and define it there. The GRASS path is added automatically,
> so just add /home/helena/gdal/lib there (or in /etc/ld.so.conf).
>
> I have been compiling and running the GRASS CVS version from home
> directory for years so hopefully it will work for you too,
>
> Helena
>
> Helena Mitasova
> Dept. of Marine, Earth and Atm. Sciences
> 1125 Jordan Hall, NCSU Box 8208,
> Raleigh NC 27695
> http://skagit.meas.ncsu.edu/~helena/
>

> On Jul 11, 2007, at 7:18 PM, David Finlayson wrote:
>
> > First time compiling GRASS on SuSE. I do not have su privileges on
> > this machine and so I am forced to build my entire tool chain in my
> > home directory ($HOME)=/we/davidf).
> >
> > So far fftw-3.1.2, gdal-1.4.2 and proj-4.5.0 have all compiled
> > using the following:
> >
> > ./configure --prefix=$HOME
> > make
> > make install
> >
> > Which has built a directory tree in $HOME like this:
> >
> > $HOME/bin
> > $HOME/include
> > $HOME/lib
> > $HOME/man
> > $HOME/share
> >
> > Now, trying the same with grass results in a configure error:
> >
> > albacore src/grass-6.2.cvs_src_snapshot_2007_07_07> ./configure --
> > prefix=$HOME --enable-64bit --with-libs=/usr/lib64
> > checking host system type... x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu
> > checking for gcc... gcc
> > checking whether the C compiler (gcc  ) works... yes
> > ... etc ...
> > checking for deflate in -lz... yes
> > checking for location of External PROJ.4 includes...
> > checking for proj_api.h... no
> > configure: error: *** Unable to locate External PROJ.4 includes.
> >
> > However, proj_api.h is in $HOME/include

> [...]

David Finlayson, Ph.D.
Operational Geologist

U.S. Geological Survey