[GRASS-dev] d.rast.edit in wxgrass

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Tue Jun 12 12:25:58 EDT 2007

Michael Barton wrote:

> >> d.rast.edit ought to run from wxgrass, assuming that TclTk is installed. It
> >> launches the wxPython properties dialog when called from the menu. However,
> >> the wxPython properties dialog, then launches the TclTk properties dialog
> >> instead of just running the command (note that running d.rast.edits with
> >> arguments runs fine from the wxgrass built in CLI).
> >>
> >> The place where the command is getting rerouted to call the TclTk dialog
> >> seems to be in line 636 of menuform.py
> >
> > It's being treated as a layer because it begins with "d.".
> >
> > The "d.*" hack is a bad idea; I suggest that you remove it.
>
> I'm not sure why the d.* clause is in this particular place--one reason to
> query Daniel who has done most of the work making menuform work well.
>
> We need to split out d.* commands elsewhere because they must be processed
> differently from other commands in order to show up in the display canvas,
> but this would not apply to d.rast.edit. It is the only command that I know
> of that would handle it's own display still.

d.* commands used as map layers belong in a separate menu. The menu
items for layer commands should have different bindings to normal
commands.

Determining how to run a command based upon its name is simply wrong.

> >> retcode = subprocess.call(cmd, shell=True)
> >
> > Why are you using a string instead of a list?
>
> I looked at cmd coming in and I think it is a list.

In which case, the shell=True doesn't belong there.

> It should be possible to port d.rast.edit (or its functionality) to
> wxPython, since it is TclTk, at which time we'd just change the call in the
> menu to aim at the new one. Nviz launches fine, as do the xterm commands.
> d.rast.edit is the only one that doesn't launch quite right. It's not a
> biggie, but if it is an easy fix, it would be nice.

The fix for d.rast.edit is to remove the hack which treats d.*
commands differently.