[GRASS-dev] v.transform, wishlist #420

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 13 05:00:12 EDT 2007

Dylan Beaudette wrote:

> You will need:
>
> 1. a new location in UTM
> 2. import your custom coordinates into that location, ignoring the
> fact that the coordinate systems do not match
> 3. use v.transform

of course Dylan got to the same solution first.. :)

> I think that v.transform should issue some kind of error if invoked
> within a LL location...

but, what if due to a transcription error or whatever you want to shift
everything a degree to the west?

(I do have a chart here where all lons are off by 1". It's a hand drawn
1853 nautical chart from the HMS Acheron which was only resurveyed and
replaced in the last ~5 years. I met a guy from the British Admiralty
service on a dive trip to the great barrier reef soon after- he said
they had a big party as it was the last of their old-old maps still in
service to be replaced. I guess that makes us the ends of the known
world down here :)

Hamish