[GRASS-dev] [grass-code R][428] Warn about wrong epsg code when creating a location in grass 6.2

Maciej Sieczka tutey at o2.pl
Mon Jun 25 13:16:00 EDT 2007

Michael Barton wrote:
> AFAICT, there is no way for the GUI to know if an EPSG code is bad. Perhaps
> g.proj can test for this, but I wouldn't count on it.

GDAL's epsg_tr.py can do it:

$ epsg_tr.py 1333

ERROR 6: EPSG PCS/GCS code 1333 not found in EPSG support files.  Is
this a valid
EPSG coordinate system?
Unable to lookup  1333 , either not a valid EPSG
code, or it the EPSG csv files are not accessable.

> The procedure to create a location from a georeferenced file is different
> from the procedure to create it from an EPSG code,

But doesn't it depend on extracting the EPSG code from a georeferenced
file? So if the extracted code was invalid (ie. the file's georeference
info was corrupted) it could react same as for an invalid EPSG code
entered?

Maciek