[GRASS-dev] Re: [GRASSGUI] changing data for parser

Daniel Calvelo dca.gis at gmail.com
Thu Mar 22 23:52:21 EDT 2007

On 3/22/07, Hamish <hamish_nospam at yahoo.com> wrote:
[...]
> before touching SUBMITTING, we need to clarify what to do with
> ->description, ->label, et al., see:
>   http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.gis.grass.devel/19258

I followed that one. Having a (mostly) working wxPython GUI, I have
bumped into the problem of having waaaaaay too long descriptions that
are fed as labels in the GUI. I would propose the following:

- Have all the parser.c formats meant for human reading use
->description and ->descriptions. I mean actually help and HTML. I'd
say drop ->label, but haven't looked into them enough.

- The output formats meant for machines, namely xml and tcltk, should
include all the info, as raw as possible (i.e. splitting
->descriptions and adding them to ->description in XML is a no)

- For GUIs, use ->description for tooltips. Always. Use ->label for
widget labels if it exists. If not then chop ->description up to the
first punctuation character. So far, most very lengthy descriptions
I've seen are split in phrases. The standard options are really
eclectic in semantics for ->description vs. ->label. Those should be
fixed IMHO.

Then, add the corresponding cruft in SUBMITTING and start the janitorial work...

Daniel.

--
-- Daniel Calvelo Aros