[GRASS-dev] discussion: replacing ps.map

Jachym Cepicky jachym.cepicky at gmail.com
Tue Mar 27 10:50:51 EDT 2007

Hallo,

while ps.map is nice tool for creating hard copy maps in GRASS, it is
not sufficient for some more complicated tasks and correct me if I'm
wrong, there is no _real_ maintainer of it's code, who would be able
to write new functions for it.

Now, when new wxPython GUI is stepping forward, I'm thinking about,
how to write future GRASS mapcomposer.

I see two interesting tools in today's FOSS4G world, which could be
used as back end for new Mapcomposer, and which would so replace
functionality of ps.map:

1) UMN MapServer
2) GMT

MapServer
-------------
UMN MapServer is far known tool, which has well documented
configuration file and large community. I suppose, most of the
GRASS-users are already familiar with it. MapServer produces nice
graphical output in desired resolution and format. I is possible to
use PDF as output format:
http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/docs/howto/pdf-output Tasks, like label
placement and so on are already solved in MapServer. GRASS would
became also a GUI for MapServer configuration file. It is possible to
access GRASS (vectors and rasters) from MapServer (both are using
gdal).

Size (ubuntu package): 7548kB + python-mapscript 1500 kB

GMT
------
Sorry, I do not know much about GMT. I just know, this is a tool,
which is able to create nice maps and there are already some bindings
for GRASS. I would say, it has not as large community as MapServer
has.

Size (ubuntu package): 9904 kB

Both solutions are introducing new dependency. The benefit would be
"outsourcing" of our efforts. Why to reinvent a wheel, if there are
already tools, which are able to produce nice maps, tested and used?

What do you think? Any experience with some of this tools? I would
vote for MapServer.

Jachym
--
Jachym Cepicky